Pieces from a letter written by Mr. Clifford Clark in 1977
The Kenton M.E. Church was organized in the homes od the Kenton people. Early preaching was in the Widow Howard's home, and other. Methodist preachers were visiting the Kenton area as early as 1774. In the year 1818, William Ringhold deeded one acre to the following trustees of the first Kenton Church: James Scotten, Isaac Buckingham, Robert Pearce and Nemiah Clark, with the understanding that this land was to be used for the recetion of a church, and the remaining land to be used for a cemetery for deceased members of the church and their families. The first preacher of this church was Rev. John Durborough. This church cemetery was located one quarter mile south of Kenton on the road leading to Downs Chapel. After many years, this church was abandoned in 1877 and a second church was built in the town of Kenton. Before the year was over, this second church was completly destroyed by fire. Another church was erected in 1878 and was officially dedicated by Bishop Scott on September 15, 1878.